Monday, April 29, 2013

My Doll House (Q&A)

Since starting this blog I have had a lot of questions about where I got my doll house and the things inside. How long have I had it, etc. so I will attempt to answer most of those questions here.

For months I had been telling (OK whining...) to my husband about wanting a Victorian dollhouse. I said, "the thought of building a dollhouse is both overwhelming and intimidating to me. I wish I could just buy one already assembled." But do you know how much those cost? Hundreds!

In June 2012, I passed a re-sale antique store and decided to go inside. There it was! An assembled 3-story doll house! I couldn't believe it!It was in very bad shape!! It needed a lot of work.









The wrap around porch was falling off. After speaking to the shop owner I found out that her husband had built it and she was buying furniture for it. Apparently the house was left outside then it had rained. Once the sun came back out, it caused the siding to bow and the porch floor to buckle.  As we looked at the damage she began offering suggestions on how to fix the porch. I decided to purchase it and give it the TLC it needed. 


I have been informed by a dollhouse enthusiast that it's a Franklin by Artsy circa 1979.
  • MODEL #124 
  • COLLECTIBLE MADE IN 1979 BY ARTPLY 
  • 9 SPACIOUS BEDROOM 
  • DOLLHOUSE FOR YOUR MINIATURES 
  • 31"x 19"x 34" ASSEMBLED 
  • 2 CURVED STAIRCASES 
  • FIREPLACE 
  • FULL WRAP-AROUND PORCH 
  • CHIMNEY DETAILED 
  • RAILINGS AND HOUSE TRIM 
  • ELEGANT BALCONY WITH FRENCH DOORS 
The kit that served as the foundation for this home has been long out of production and is not often seen on the secondary market. The Kit is all die-cut and the wood is very thin and splits easily. It doesn't take paint well, so she suggested that I cover it with clapboard siding to help stabilize the structure somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment